Wednesday 24 August 2011

IS YOUR GLASS HALF FULL OR IS IT HALF EMPTY?

PEACE, TRANQUILITY, CALM - ALL ATTAINABLE
Today it's a rainy overcast sort of day...but it's a good day and for a change I'm actually getting some 'housework' done, work I've been putting off until such a day as this.  I've enjoyed the last few weeks because the weather has been so perfect and it was only a week ago that I was in the 'wilderness' enjoying nature to it's fullest so I'm still feeling relaxed.  However, I really must  get back to reality, I can't be like a Heron and simply flap my wings and go to another beautiful place...I've got to be where I am...the place I call home.


So far I've only accomplished the upstairs and have managed to dust, vacuum and straighten up things so at least I now feel comfortable using these rooms...after all this house is where we live and I like it to feel like a warm, cozy place with the various things within reach that define us...books or magazines in the process of being read, bits of unfinished creative pieces in my studio, a soft cushion or pillow in 'just the right position' for comfort, etc.  Generally I like my husband's and my spaces to look 'lived in' and 'welcoming...soft edged and casual...and relatively tidy and dust free!!!!


NATURE AT HER BEST...PICKERELWEED...BLUE/VIOLET AND BRILLIANT GREEN RISING FROM DARK WATER


During the course of my cleaning binge I've also been thinking about the late Jack Layton.  I didn't know the man personally, nor did I think the way he did about a lot of things; however, I was, like many Canadians, duly impressed with him in the last election and what he was able to accomplish.  What has really left a mark on me though, is the letter he wrote to all Canadians.  He wrote if from the heart and soul of his very being as a human and as a Canadian that truly loved ALL Canadians.  In spite of what must have been for him a great deal of suffering over the past few months he still managed to look at his life as...a glass half full.  His goal seemed to be to try to fill that glass...and with the words he gave to Canadians before his death his glass WILL continue to fill because he will always be remembered, not just as a strong political figure but because he's given ALL Canadians the courage to live their lives to the fullest by suggesting they be 'loving, hopeful and optimistic".  What a great thing to leave us to think about.  Jack Layton was only a man, BUT he understood what so many forget to consider when they are feeling down and having a bad go of it!  


SUNSHINE IS THERE, YOU ONLY HAVE TO LOOK FOR IT
Usually there's light at the end of the tunnel, so what seems problematic at the moment is not necessarily 'the end' but rather 'the beginning' to the next phase of your life.  If you have to make a change, don't think of it as leaving something behind but rather as moving forward to something  ahead that's new and challenging. Don't look behind; look forward and step into the light with a positive attitude.  Do that and you'll be half way to gaining something worthwhile for your efforts.


"Is your glass half full or is it half empty?" is an old and often neglected phrase.  Everyone of us has been given a life to live and we much choose to look at the things that are thrown at us out of the blue as a challenge and as character building tools.  There are many things that will come our way that seem to be unsurmountable and certainly are if we look at them with a negative light...but think of the positive things (people, places, happenings, etc.) that have come your way and then push negative thinking to the back of your mind as you work through the bad and they will surely help you get back into believing that you can fill your glass a little bit more.


I'll end today by wishing you all well and hope that at the end of this day you will enjoy some calm and be able think of all the positive things that have helped fill your glass to the level it is right now.  You might want to pinch yourself, too...because we are all blessed with many good things, just take a few moments to remember what they are, then smile and be happy.


CEDAR ROOTS AND THE NATURAL ELEMENTS HAVE CREATED A  BEAUTIFUL AND TACTILE WORK OF ART








No comments:

Post a Comment